FEMA Assistance for Private Homeowners and Business Owners

In order to qualify for FEMA assistance for private homeowners and business owners, there must be 25 homes or businesses that have been destroyed or sustained major damage. At this time there have been no reports of any homes destroyed or have sustained major damage. If you do have damage to your home that you feel would be classified as "major", please let us know by calling (828)682-1885 and leaving a message with your contact information and the physical address of the property.

Accessibility is not covered under this program. Accessibility includes driveways, bridges, and culverts. Although this may have been covered in previous floods, this was part of a special program available only at that time. If enough damage of this type is reported and justified, the program could be re-instated.

In order to apply for reimbursement if the program becomes available in the future, it is critical that you take pictures of the damage, keep receipts, and document any work performed (type of equipment used, hours worked, supplies, etc....). You can email those documents to:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

or mail it to

Emergency Management
110 Town Square Room11, Burnsville, NC 28714.

From the disasterassistance.gov website:

What if my county isn't declared?
Do you have damage from a disaster but don’t see your county declared or Individual Assistance? Sometimes other counties are added to the declaration later. You can come back and look up your address from our Home page to see if your county has been added. You can also visit FEMA's Disaster Declarations page.

Our Location

 Our offices are located in the Yancey County Courthouse on the Burnsville Town Square

Yancey County Government
110 Town Square
Burnsville, NC 28714